Friday, March 21, 2008

Ondol

Korean home heating is a wonderful thing. It's called ondol (온돌 溫突), under-floor heating. Nowadays this is usually done with pipes circulating hot water under the floor.

It's a much smarter way to heat than with a forced-air furnace or electric radiant or convection heaters. It's more efficient, in that more of the energy actually goes to heat the room; more effective, in that it works really well to keep you warm; and more comfortable in that your bare or socked feet get to touch warm floors in the winter. And it has the added advantage of freeing up space along the wall for furniture, outlets, or whatever else you'd rather put there instead of a heating register. I hope someday to install it in our house in America.

One of the disadvantages I noted about the dormitory apartment I'm in now is that I can't control the level of heating. The apartment is usually too hot, even when it's quite cold out, so I have to keep a window open.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. The Chinese girl living next door to me showed me how to adjust the heat. There's this closet out in the stairway with a gas-fired water heater in it:


Five tubes run from the heater, one to each room on the floor.


By adjusting the valve on tube #4, I can control the amount of hot water flowing under the floor in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to see follow-up comments (for this post only), click on "Subscribe by email" below.