Friday, June 18, 2010

Laundry SUCCEED

This morning when I went down to breakfast, after having looked up a few key words in the dictionary, I explained to the manager my laundry situation. She expressed surprise that there was any problem. We went into the laundry room together, she turned on the machine, and sure enough, there was the blinking "C6" filter error.


Now, when I got this error the previous evening, I did try hitting every button on the control panel just to see if one of them would make it go away. But I didn't hit the big "START" button in the middle, since I wasn't ready to actually start my laundry until I'd chosen my settings. Silly me. Completely ignoring the error, the manager hit the "START" button, then looked at me as if I were an idiot, which I suppose I am. (Hat tip to John for his comment on yesterday's post.)

The panel lit up, ready to serve.


I went in to eat breakfast, which had already been laid out for me, planning to do laundry afterwards.

One of the little dishes today was fried chicken balls, but whether that's called yakitori or toriyaki, or something else entirely, I have no idea.



Also, today's cabbage was a different kind, more green, less white.

The manager showed me and the disheveled-looking graduate student eating with me the pictures she's surreptitiously taken of us over the last few days.  I took the opportunity to ask her to take a picture of me using my camera, so you can see what the guesthouse dining room looks like.


The reason I have two teacups is that, continuing in her efforts to make me consume as many different foods in as great a quantity as possible, today she gave me a sour-plum (うめ) flavored tea to try along with the regular green tea.

She's equally fussy with the Japanese guests, offering them candy and cookies, telling them about the fresh, high-quality ingredients she's used and inviting them to say how delicious it all is.  She's quite sweet, really.

So after breakfast I rounded up my laundry and went downstairs and turned on the machine.  This time, no "C6" error at all.  The panel lit up instantly and emitted some cheerful electronic chimes.


I selected "wash-then-dry", and the display panel showed me a total time of over 3 hours. Three hours! Then I recalled, this is also just like Korea. These washer-dryer combos take forever to dry clothes; it's usually better to just air-dry them. In any case, I didn't have 3 hours to wait around, I had to go into the office. So I selected "wash only", and set the water level on the left to 35 liters (as my little sachet of laundry powder had directed).

(You can see pictures of the washer-dryer laundry machines in my Korean apartments here and here.  Both were in the kitchen.)

48 minutes, that's better.


After I'd showered, dressed, and checked my email, the laundry was done.  I laid out half of it on the absurdly tiny drying rack provided in the room, and set that in front of the air-conditioner to speed drying. I laid the rest of my clothes over chair arms and backs. I figure if it's still wet this evening, I can throw it into the machine for an hour or so.


Every day's an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to see follow-up comments (for this post only), click on "Subscribe by email" below.