Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Neko Jjang

Today Erma and I stumbled across this place at lunchtime.

Neko Jjang 네코짱, i.e. Neko-chan ねこちゃん, i.e. Kitty
It's a Japanese ramen place. The inside was decorated with all sorts of Japanese-y tchotchkes.

Yes, the official term is "Japanese-y tchotchkes".
 So we got us some ramen.

This is tantan 탄탄 ramen. I honestly have no idea if this is supposed to be tan-men タンメン or tantan-men 坦々麺.
This being Korea, one must have kimchi with one's ramen. And danmuji (though I suppose I should call it takuan in this context).

kimchi (top) and danmuji 단무지 (sweet pickled daikon) (bottom)
The romanization of the Korean name of the restaurant hurt our eyes and our brains.

If ever there was a need for an interrobang, this is it: NeCoZzanG ‽‽


4 comments:

  1. NeCoZzanG rhymes with interrobang‽

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Japanese restaurants, unlike Korean ones, are down with letting people see inside‽

    ReplyDelete
  3. "NeCoZzanG rhymes with interrobang‽" So it sort of does!

    That's an interesting observation, but I'm not sure it's true. One of the sliding doors is open because the weather is warm, and that could also happen at the regular Korean restaurants. If the door was closed, I'm not sure how easily one could see in. I'll try to pay more attention next time we go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I could really do with some good ramen. If I just removed the piece of pork from the top, I would be set. A good bowl of ramen is one thing I didn't manage to get while in Japan last summer, because Ethan fell in love with eating from the convenience stores. Well, we have a good Japanese-Mexican place near us in Tucson. (The Japanese proprietor married a person from Mexico, and the menu shifted.) I'll go there when we get back.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to see follow-up comments (for this post only), click on "Subscribe by email" below.