Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Jjukkumi

My time in Korea is rapidly drawing to a close. I return to America in less than two weeks.

Today was the first part of my final exam, listening and speaking. Tomorrow we will have the writing and reading sections, and then Friday is our "completion ceremony" (수료식 修了式). After that there are no more classes, and I'll spend time visiting people and packing.

The SNU semester continues -- it is on a different schedule from the language school -- but today was also the last day for me to attend the Korean philology seminar that I've been sitting in on. As we do after most class meetings, the students and I had dinner at the dining hall with the professor today. As it happens, one of the two dishes being served was jjukkumi 쭈꾸미, baby octopus, which I discussed in this post.

They are pretty tasty, decapitated and fried in hot sauce with onions and served over rice.

I'm not sure I could handle eating a live one, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to see follow-up comments (for this post only), click on "Subscribe by email" below.