Friday, July 2, 2010

Dendricide in Matsuyama?

Leaving the guesthouse on my way to Ehime University campus yesterday morning, I found the narrow walkway by the side of the road blocked by cones.  Workers (in their very Japanese-y little white hardhats) were trimming the foliage at the edge of the guesthouse property bordering the road.

After I walked by and turned to look behind me, it suddenly became clear that this was a more significant operation than a little trim.


In fact, this looked more like a decapitation operation.


Once I had crossed the street, I saw that two of the workers, positioned on opposite sides of the line of trees, were operating a single giant saw.


Something about the motion reminded me of those old-timey rail hand-cars, the ones people of my generation mostly know only from Saturday morning cartoons.


When I passed by again on my way home in the evening, the operation was complete.


Perhaps this isn't dendricide after all.  Maybe the trees do better after a good decapitation.  Now there's a thought that puts me in mind of a Nick Lowe song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to see follow-up comments (for this post only), click on "Subscribe by email" below.